November 26, 1905 - A
New Building for St. Barnabas
From: 1890 Newark City Directory
Supported chiefly by contributions of our fellow citizens, who are urgently requested to furnish the means for increased usefulness. Under the care of the sisters of St. Margaret. Capacity, comprising also LYING-IN department and CHILDREN'S WARD, 40 beds.
From “Newark and Its Leading Businessmen” 1891
The oldest hospital is St. Barnabas, which occupies a large and handsome brick structure on the corner of High and Montgomery Streets. This hospital is in charge of the Sisters of St. Margaret, and its business affairs are managed by a Board of Trustees composed of the Bishop of the Episcopal diocese of Newark and representatives of all the Episcopal churches of Newark and vicinity.
From: 1893 Newark City Directory
Patients suffering from severe accidents admitted unconditionally, at any hour of day or night. Other patients, without regard to sex, color, nationality or creed, admitted between 10 AM and 1 PM.
From: "Newark, the Unhealthiest City"
Saint Barnabas Hospital was founded in 1865 by the Episcopal Church and incorporated on February 13, 1867. The first hospital was a small suite of rooms in the upper floor of a building on McWhorter Street. A new location was found in 1867 but it was still unsuitable due to the building being cold and drafty. To keep the hospital afloat money was raised by subscriptions, charity collections, business gifts and the annual Saint Barnabas Charity Ball. In the early years, the housekeeping and nursing was done by women volunteers. To augment its funding, Hospital Clubs were formed. These clubs offered businesses with an available bed for its sick or injured employees. Unfortunately this plan did not raise the desired money.
In 1870, an eye and ear infirmary, along with a clinic for diseases of women and children was opened two days a week to provide outpatient care. Later in 1870, the hospital received a large financial gift and built a 35 bed facility at Montgomery and High Streets. The patients treated were the destitute and friendless along with accident victims. 1883 saw the building of a new facility which contained an administrative wing and a three story hospital. An elevator and steam heat were added in 1889.
Relocated to Livingston, New Jersey.
From: "Essex County, NJ, Illustrated 1897"
St. Barnabas was the first working hospital established in New Jersey under legislative authority. The work was begun in 1865 in a small house on Wickliffe Street. The hospital became an incorporated institution on the thirteenth day of February, 1867. The incorporators were, Bishop William Henry Odenheimer and the rectors and certain laymen selected from among several Episcopal churches of Newark. The charter declared the purpose of the incorporation to be the nurture and maintenance of sick, aged and infirm and indigent persons, and of orphans, half orphans and destitute children; the providing for their temporal and spiritual welfare, and the providing or erecting a suitable building or buildings in which to carry on the proposed work.
Not long afterward a gentleman bequeathed to the incorporation the beautiful lots where St. Stephen's Church now stands, at the junction of Clinton and Elizabeth Avenues. In June 1870, the trustees purchased the finely located property, corner of High & Montgomery Streets. Here the work has been carried on ever since.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Under the auspices of the Episcopal Church, but supported by the general public and admitting patients of all faiths. Offers medical and surgical aid and nursing to the sick and disabled suffering from acute, curable, and non-contagious diseases. Capacity, 84: free beds, 65, private, 19. Maternity cases taken. Will not admit tubercular patients. Admission to the hospital is by direct application. Charity cases taken by application to the Overseer of the Poor and on the written permit of a City Physician. Maintains a Training School for Nurses.
|Copyright 1998 - 2021 Glenn G. Geisheimer|