September 20, 1908 - Old Isolation Hospital to be Burned Wednesday
1900 Federal Census ED - #222
Newark's first Almshouse was a decrepit old building located at the edge of the meadows. The area around it was damp, humid, and mosquito ridden (some carrying malaria). . The building itself was a dumping ground for the handicapped, dependent and deviant members. Orphans, widows, the infirm, the feebleminded and others down on their luck were placed together with drunkards and criminals. A report written in 1855 by the almshouse physician, Dr. George S. Ward, stated that there were 74 inmates that year and 62 had contracted malaria (intermittent fever). At a meeting of the Newark Common Council on July 1, 1857 the purchase of a 21 acre site for a new Almshouse was defeated 21 to 4.
From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
Temporary care may be given to mother and destitute children on application to the Overseer of the Poor. Notice of the reception of such children is sent immediately by the Overseer to the State Board of Children's Guardians, upon which notice the children become the charge of the State Board.
A homeless, aged man or woman, resident of Newark, or a dispossessed and destitute resident family may find shelter in the Almshouse. In the latter case the children become, thereby, legal charges of the State Board of Children's Guardians.
Cares for pauper aged who have a legal settlement in the city. Application must be made to the Overseer of the Poor, City Hall.
From: "Newark, the City of Industry" Published by the Newark Board of Trade 1912
Located at the southern end of the city is the Poor House. This is an old but substantial brick structure, covering with its out-buildings and its gardens, more than the average size city block. It is in charge of a superintendent and matron, and is under the supervision of the Common Council.
|Copyright 1998 - 2018 Glenn G. Geisheimer|