December 12, 1909 - Two Members Resign from Hospital Board
From: Social Service Directory of Newark 1912:
Babies received up to three years old. Offers medical and surgical aid and nursing for babies suffering from acute and non-contagious diseases. Capacity, 30 ward patients. Admission to the hospital is by direct application. Charity cases taken by application to the Overseer of the Poor and on the written permit from Board of Health (City Dispensary).
Clinic - For Children only, under three years of age and suffering from non-contagious diseases.
A Training School for Nursery Maids is maintained.
From Pete Bruno:
In 1896, Dr. Henry Leber Coit (1854-1917), a pioneer in American pediatrics, specialist in children’s diseases and the originator of certified milk, founded Babies Hospital in Newark. He was assisted by Dr. Edward J. Ill (1854-1942), among others. Babies Hospital occupied two adjoining buildings at 437 High Street at the corner of Bank Street. (This corner no longer exists, nor does that section of Bank Street as both were absorbed into the campus of Essex County College.) . It was the FIRST facility of its kind in the United States, having been created specifically to receive children under five years old. Dr. kipp of the Newark Eye and Ear Infirmary became the president of the Babies Hospital first Board of Directors.
I would be remiss not to point out the significance of “certified milk” and Dr. Coit’s role in its creation. Prior to modern refrigeration, food production purity laws and routine pasteurization of milk children were dying from milk borne diseases. These diseases were often caused by the unsanitary conditions that cows were kept in. Sick cows gave bad milk. The government understood the problem but saw immediate change as all but impossible. They thought it would take at least a generation to implement any significant changes. Dr. Coit found that timetable unacceptable, and along with other interested physicians he formed a private organization to educate farmers and then persuade them to produce and handle milk under strict sanitary standards for both the cow and the milk. The farmers who wanted to join this program would sign a legal contract that outlined all aspects of creating “certified milk”. In return for their trouble these farmers were able to secure higher prices for their milk. They were also subject to inspection of their farm/cows and testing of their milk for bacteria and pathogens. The first farmer to join this movement as a “certified milk” producer was in Caldwell, New Jersey. The “certified milk” was available for physicians, their patients and the public. How many lives were saved by improving the milk supply? Many, undoubtedly. Just as important, was the fact that people could buy this milk with confidence and knew it wouldn’t sicken them or their children. This is something we take for granted today so the impact of this innovation has been mostly lost to history.
In 1928, the growing hospital raised $560,000 through a building fund drive. A new facility was constructed at 15 Roseville Avenue, in the Roseville section, a fine residential area. The hospital and a Nurses Home was dedicated in January 1930. It was formally named Babies Hospital- Coit Memorial in honor of its founder.
In 1958, Babies Hospital made its final move when it moved two blocks west to So. 9th Street to merge with the Newark Eye and Ear Infirmary, the Presbyterian Hospital and the Hospital for Crippled Children to form United Medical Center. The Children’s Hospital as it was now called evolved into a complete diagnostic and treatment center for infants, children and adolescents. It folded in 1997 when United Hospitals closed. The building at 15 Roseville Avenue,(pictured above) is now apartments.
During the latter part of the 1960's Babies' Hospital merged with the Presbyterian Hospital and relocated to So. 9th Street. Babies Hospital remained a functioning hospital until February 1997 as part of the United Healthcare System. The Certificate of Need for Children's Hospital went to Newark Beth Israel Medical Center on Lyons Avenue.
1900 US Census Newark NJ
1930 Booklet on the History of Babies' Hospital
Allison, G. A., Miss - Page 9
Coit, Henry L., Mrs. - Page 13
Coit, John Summerfield, Rev. - Page 5
Conklin, Franklin - Page 12
Farrell, Charles L., Mrs. - Page 13
Flud, Felix - Page 12
Murray, Eugene W., Dr. - Pages 11, 12
Remer, John - Page 7
|Copyright 1998 - 2019 Glenn G. Geisheimer|