From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912
A home and hospital for the care and cure of crippled children. Orthopedic cases taken. Supported by voluntary contributions. Patients are required to pay a small sum for board when able. Capacity, 58: 44 ward patients. Work of last year: Number of in-patients, 392: number of out-patients, 396.
Clinic for Children, Tuesdays and Fridays 3 to 4 PM
From Rutgers University:
In 1892, Samuel A. Darrach conceived of a hospital especially for crippled children. Darrach, a maker of orthopedic braces, took an interest in the welfare of three injured children. He consulted with the Roseville Benevolent Society, a womens' group who did sewing for the poor. The Society rented a four-room flat at 66 South 8th Street. One year later, they rented another. In 1892 the Roseville Benevolent Society changed its name to the "Home for Crippled Children." A new facility was built at Park and Clifton Avenues, in 1897, through the efforts of John H. Ballantine and Dr. Fewsmith. The "Ballantine Building" was erected in 1908 at Park Avenue and Ridge Street. The organization reincorporated in 1925 as the "Hospital and Home for Crippled Children," and another brand new facility was built in 1926. The corporate name changed again in 1948 to the "Hospital for Crippled Children and Adults," which concentrated on bone surgery and also cared for paraplegic miners, paralyzed in underground accidents.
In 1958 Crippled Children's joined United Hospitals and became known as United Hospitals Orthopedic Center. It maintained its goals of correcting deformities and reconstructing injured joints. It initiated a joint replacement program in 1970. Due to its success, the Orthopedic Center became well known across the east coast. The Center was the main orthopedic teaching hospital for UMDNJ. Additionally, in the 1980s Crippled Children's had the first bone bank in the state.
|Copyright 1998 - 2019 Glenn G. Geisheimer|