House of the Good Shepherd for Wayward Girls

Established 1874

Thirteenth Ave. corner South Ninth St.

Additional Images

From: Social Services Directory of Newark 1912

A Catholic institution for the moral and religious instruction and training of wayward girls and women. Under the chard of the Sisters of Good Shepherd. Two hundred inmates. A laundry is maintained, the work of which is performed by the girls. Contract sewing also done by the institution. Girls received on application to the institution, or application may be made to the Catholic Children's Aid Association. Superintendent, Sister Mary of the Divine Heart.

There is a Magdalene Department for reformed penitents. The inmates are also instructed in undergarment making and general sewing. Girls received into the institution through the Catholic Children's Aid Association on recommendation of the courts and probation officers.